The Athletes had their work cut out for them on Day 1 of the Iowa High School State Track Championships at Drake Stadium in Des Moines as temperatures reached the low 90’s.
The area highlight came when Western Dubuque senior Grant Kelchen captured the 4-A boy’s high jump crossing the bar at 6’8.
Other area medalists on day one were:
- Hempstead’s David Holesinger finished 3rd and teammate Ben Hermiston ran 5th in the 3200.
- Claire Edmondson of Senior placed 4th in the 3000.
- Meredith Bahl of Western Dubuque finished tied for 3rd in the high jump
- Janyla Hoskins of Hempstead qualified for Saturday’s 100 final with the 4th quickest prelim time
- Nathan Munshower of Wahlert was 6th in the 3200.
- Alixander Oliver of Wahlert was 8th in the 3000.
- Golden Eagle Mitchell Miller took 4th in the discus and Aliyah Carter finished tied for 3rd in the high jump.
- Libby Wedewer of Wahlert qualified with the best qualifying times in both the 100 and 200 for Saturday’s final. Alden Kuntz had 2nd fastest qualifier in the boys 200.
- Evan Wulfekuhle of Dyersville Beckman had a runner up finish in the 400, he also qualified for the 100 finals on Saturday with the 6th best prelim.
- Bellevue’s 4×800 boys relay finished 3rd, while Cascade was 4th in the girls 4×800.
- Brady Griebel of Bellevue was 5th in the 3200.
- Madison Kelchen of Cascade was 7th in the 3000.
- Riley Konrady of Bellevue was 8th in the shotput.
- Dyersville Beckman had the fastest qualifying for the girls shuttle hurdle relay finals on Saturday while Cascade made the finals with the 6th quickest time.