Cubs Stay Hot
– The Cubs won for the 13th time in 17 games as Jon Lester combined with two relievers on a one-hitter in an 11-0 thrashing of the Mariners. Lester struck out eight and allowed only Ryon Healy’s single over seven innings. Javier Baez hit a solo homer and an RBI double while Chicago put together a six-run second.
Rockies Rough Up Brewers
– The Rockies coasted to an 11-4 romp over the Brewers as Nolan Arenado homered twice and drove in four runs. Trevor Story also connected and Colorado stopped a three-game skid with their highest-scoring output of the season. Tony Wolters added two RBIs on a tiebreaking single in the sixth inning and a sacrifice fly in the eighth.
Cardinals Win Third Straight Against Nationals
– Miles Mikolas outpitched Max Scherzer and Marcell Ozuna had three hits as the Cardinals dumped the Nationals, 5-1. Jose Martinez drove in two runs in helping St. Louis win for the 10th time in 11 games. Washington has lost the first three games of the series and six of its last seven overall to fall to 12-17.
White Sox Earn Split
– The White Sox salvaged a split of their double header by downing the O’s, 7-6 on Yonder Alonso’s two-run single with two out in the ninth inning. With two down and runners on second and third, Jose Abreu was walked intentionally to get to Alonso, who lined a game-ending single into left field. Baltimore won the first game of the twinbill 5-4.
Twins Top Astros
– Martin Perez had his longest outing in two seasons, allowing four hits over eight scoreless innings of the Twins’ 6-2 victory against the Astros. Perez sailed after putting the first two runners on base in the opening inning. Jonathan Schoop crushed a towering two-run homer and Nelson Cruz Jr. drove in a pair for Minnesota.