Cubs Keep Winning
– The Cubs were 3-1 winners over the Reds behind Kyle Hendricks, who had as many hits as he allowed. Hendricks was 3-for-4 with a two-run double to help Chicago win for the 22nd time in its last 28 games. He also held Cincinnati to a run and three hits while striking out seven over eight-plus innings.
Brewers Shutdown Phils
– Brandon Woodruff threw one-hit ball for six innings in pitching the Brewers past the Phillies, 6-1. Woodruff allowed only an infield single to Jean Segure in the first inning and improved to 6-1. Yasmani Grandal and Ryan Braun homered for Milwaukee.
Cardinals Blast Braves
– Marcell Ozuna , Yadier Molina and Kolten Wong blasted three-run homers in the Cardinals’ 14-3 thumping of the Braves. Dexter Fowler also went deep to back Jack Flaherty, who was reached for three runs in six innings. St. Louis battered 2018 All-Star Mike Foltynewicz , whose ERA is 8.02 after yielding eight runs over 4 2/3 innings.
Indians Power Past Soxs
– Jordan Luplow launched two of the Indians’ five home runs in the Indians’ 9-0 victory against the White Sox in Chicago. Roberto Perez, Jake Bauers and Jose Ramirez also went deep for the three-time defending AL Central champs, who owned a .219 average before the rout. Carlos Carrasco scattered six singles and struck out six over seven innings.
Twins Clip Angels
– Mitch Garver hit a two-run homer and tagged out Shohei Ohtani trying to score the tying run in the Twins’ 4-3 downing of the Angels. Garver homered in the third inning to give Minnesota a three-run lead, but he had to be helped off the field without putting weight on his left leg following his plate collision with Ohtani in the eighth inning. Ohtani had three hits but was thrown out at third and home.