The Iowa High School State Track and Field Championships wrapped up a three day run yesterday on Saturday in Des Moines.
Some area athletes mined more state gold on Championship Saturday on the Big Blue Oval inside Drake Stadium:
In Class 3A: The Wahlert girls team added their 2nd and 3rd state championships of the meet when Libby Wedewer captured the 200 meter title after finishing runner up in the 100 meters and then she help lead the 4×100 relay to a state gold medal. The Wahlert boys also added their second relay title of the meet by taking first in the boys 4×100.
In Class 2A: The Dyersville Beckman girls claimed two titles: Heather Bockenstedt won the 100 hurdles championship and later anchored the Shuttle Hurdle Relay to victory.
Other notable area medalist finishes from Saturday:
- Alden Kuntz of Wahlert earned 2nd in the 3-A boys 200
- The Wahlert boys Sprint Medley relay placed 2nd in 3-A while Bellevue earned 3rd place in the 2-A boys race. The Comets would also finish an impressive 2nd in the 4×100.
- Ben Hermiston of Hempstead ran to a 2nd place finish in the 1600 meters
- Clare Edmondson of Senior 3rd in the 1500
In the team standings:
- The closest area team to bringing home a team championship trophy were the Wahlert girls in Class 3-A. The Golden Eagles were beaten by an eyelash by Glenwood 65 to 64.5
- In the 3-A boys race, Wahlert finished a distance second to champion Sergeant Bluff Luton 86-52.
- In Class 4-A boys: Western Dubuque was 5th with 44, Hempstead 11th with 29.
- Class 2-A boys: Bellevue finished 4th with 45, Beckman 13th with 18.
- Class 2-A girls: Cascade was 5th with 29, Beckman 9th with 25.
- Class 4A girls: Senior was 19th with 14 points, Western Dubuque 21st with 12, Hempstead 34th with 3.