UNDATED (AP) — Recommendations by the Center of Disease Control suggest that North American professional sports could remain on hiatus until May. The CDC says organizers should cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 people or more throughout the United States for the next eight weeks. That window easily exceeds what would have been the remainder of the NBA and NHL regular seasons, plus would cover about the first 25% of the MLB season.
UNDATED (AP) — The NCAA will not create brackets for the men’s and women’s basketball tournaments that were canceled due to coronavirus concerns. NCAA vice president of men’s basketball Dan Gavitt says there’s not an authentic way to produce tournament fields and brackets at this point without speculating. College basketball’s showcase was canceled Thursday, leading to suggestions from coaches and athletic directors to release brackets for the event even though it won’t happen this year.
UNDATED (AP) — NFL players have narrowly approved a new labor agreement with the league that features a 17-game regular season. It also includes higher salaries, increased roster sizes and larger pensions for current and former players. The 17-game schedule won’t happen before the 2021 season. The deal, which runs through the 2030 season, was accepted by the 32 team owners last month. Soon after the vote was announced today, the union began discussions with the league about Wednesday’s planned opening of the 2020 NFL business season. A delay is possible given league restrictions on travel as a safeguard against the new coronavirus.
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — The Tennessee Titans have worked out a four-year, $118 million extension with quarterback Ryan Tannehill, who just led them within a victory of the Super Bowl. Tannehill was 9-4 as a starter last season, including a 7-3 mark after replacing an ineffective Marcus Mariota (mar-ee-OH’-tah). He threw for 2,742 yards with 22 touchdowns, six interceptions and an NFL’-leading 117.5 passer rating.
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Veteran tackle Anthony Castonzo has agreed to a two-year contract extension with the Indianapolis Colts. The 31-year-old has been the anchor of the offensive line since he arrived in 2011 as a first-round pick. And after Castonzo considered retirement earlier this offseason, Colts general manager Chris Ballard made it clear he wanted Castonzo back as part of one of the league’s top offensive lines over the last two seasons. Castonzo has started all 132 games he has appeared in during his NFL career, plus eight postseason games. In 2019, Castonzo started all 16 games for the sixth time in his career.