MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Protesters angered by the death of a black man who died while pleading for air as a white police officer kneeled on his neck have torched a Minneapolis police station that the department was forced to abandon. Thursday marked a third night of violent protests following the death of George Floyd, who died in a confrontation with officers outside a grocery store. Earlier Thursday, Gov. Tim Walz had activated the National Guard at Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey’s request, and as protests and looting spread into neighboring St. Paul. Frey said early Friday it was his decision to evacuate the police precinct because officers were at risk. He defended the city’s mostly hands-off approach with protesters.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — At least seven people were shot as protesters in Louisville demonstrated against the killing of Breonna Taylor, a black woman fatally shot by police in her home in March. Louisville police confirmed in a statement that were at least seven shooing victims, with at least one person in critical condition. A spokesman says no officers fired their service weapons and that there were “some arrests.” The Courier Journal reports around 500 to 600 demonstrators marched through the Kentucky city’s downtown Thursday night. Thursday’s demonstration came as protesters across the country have demonstrated against the death of a black man, George Floyd, in Minneapolis police custody.
WASHINGTON (AP) — Twitter has added a warning to one of President Donald J. Trump’s tweets about protests in Minneapolis. The company says the tweet violated the platform’s rules about glorifying violence. Trump has been at war with Twitter since earlier this week, when it applied fact checks to two of his tweets about mail-in ballots. The third tweet to be flagged is about violent protests over the death of George Floyd, a handcuffed black man who pleaded for air as a white police officer kneeled on his neck. Trump tweeted, “Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts.”
WASHINGTON (AP) — The economic news is likely to continue to be bad throughout much of this year. Now, the White House is taking the unusual step of deciding not to release an updated economic forecast for this year. It’s a fresh sign of the administration’s anxiety about how the coronavirus has ravaged the nation just months before the November presidential election. The decision was revealed by a senior Trump administration official who was not authorized to publicly comment on it and spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity. An astonishing 41 million Americans have filed for unemployment benefits since shutdowns intended to prevent the spread of the coronavirus began in mid-March.